Many people who are suffering from nail fungus are constantly on the lookout for what the best home remedies for nail fungus are. If you are one of these people, this article will highlight some of the best home remedies for nail fungus treatment.
Nail fungus is responsible for not less than half of all nail problems we encounter in our lifetime. It is a very popular infection that affects both the fingernails and the toenails but is more popular with the toenails.
Nail fungus begins as a white or yellow spot beneath the edge of the nail and then runs deeper to cause discolored, thickened, and crumbly nails. Nails infected with fungus look brittle and ugly with some parts breaking off. Nail fungus also causes pain in the affected area making it difficult to wear covered shoes in the case of toenail fungus.
Before we discuss home remedies for nail fungus, let’s discuss the risk factors for nail fungus. There several risk factors that expose us to having this infection and they include:
Lack of proper nail care: fungus thrives in a moist, warm, and dark environment hence will develop if presented with a great blend of these variables. Feet and hands must be kept dry as much as possible and nails must be properly trimmed and clean. Proper nail care is a fundamental way of preventing the development of nail fungus.
Old age: old age brings with it a lot of peculiarities. One of such is nails becoming excessively dry hence developing cracks which fungus can get in to thrive. Also, as we age blood flow – especially to fingers and toes – is reduced. The blood contains white blood cells which are the body’s soldiers that protect the body from being beaten by just anything.
When blood flow to these areas is reduced, the ability to fight off infections such as nail fungus is compromised significantly. Consistently moisturizing the nail is important to keep it from excessive dryness and blood flow can be improved by engaging in exercises.
A weakened or suppressed immune system: the immune system is the defense system of the body. They naturally shield the body from infections and diseases. Without them, any sickness at all can result in death. A weakened immune system could happen as a result of old age. The body’s defense system is getting tired after many years of relentless work hence will not be as effective as it used to be.
A suppressed immune system could be a result of underlying health issues such as diabetes. A weakened immune system can be rejuvenated by taking some supplements while the suppressed immune system is difficult to be bolstered nevertheless can be improved by effective maintenance of the health issue.
Old Shoes: old shoes are breeding grounds for nail fungus hence must be discarded or treated with an antifungal powder or a disinfectant.
Locker rooms and swimming pools: places such as locker rooms, gyms, local swimming pools, etc. have a high possibility of breeding nail fungus hence walking barefoot in these places makes you more susceptible to toenail fungus.
Sweaty hands or feet: nail fungus does well in a moist environment hence sweaty feet and hands are more susceptible to developing the infection. Wear socks that absorb sweat so that your feet will be as dry as possible or change socks one or two times during the day. you can also put the powder in your shoe or socks to keep the humidity level down. Shoes made of breathable materials are also a better choice, especially when treating nail fungus.
Genetics: genetics is also a contributing factor. For example, someone with underlying health issues in the family knows he or she is highly susceptible to such. Anyone genetically prone to nail fungus must pay extra attention to maintaining proper nail care.
History of athlete’s foot: people who have had athlete’s foot over time are more prone to developing nail fungus.
Symptoms of nail fungus
Though nail fungus usually starts as a rather conspicuous white or yellow spot under the tip of the nail, it quickly develops to give many other signs such as:
- Yellow-brown or whitish discoloration of the nail
- Thickening of the nail
- Crumbly or brittle nail
- A dark color beneath the nail which signifies the collection of debris
- Distorted nail
Treatment of nail fungus
Once nail fungus develops, the treatment is not a stroll in the park. The first thing is to get an effective treatment option and be consistent with the usage because the treatment of nail fungus normally spans a few months. More often than not, nail fungus reoccurs after treatment which is why getting the best treatment option is vital.
It can be treated with medications but they usually have side effects ranging from mild to chronic. Some of such medications can even cause damage to body organs which is the reason doctors would have you tested before administering nail fungus drugs. Over-the-counter products are alternative treatments with great effectiveness in treating nail fungus. They are mostly natural and are largely safe for usage.
An even easier but by no means less effective way of treating nail fungus is the use of home remedies and there are so many home remedies for nail fungus treatment. There are some oils or substances loaded with antifungal, antibacterial, and antiseptic properties and are readily available in the home or are very easy to get. Some of them such as the tea tree oil are key agents in over-the-counter products.
Top 31 Home Remedies For Nail Fungus
- Tea tree oil
First on our list of the best 20 home remedies for nail fungus treatment is the almighty tea tree oil. Tea tree oil is one of the essential oils. It is a natural antiseptic loaded with numerous therapeutic benefits which makes it one of the best home remedies for nail fungus. Tea tree oil is gotten from the ancient Australian tea tree. The powerful healing benefits of this oil was first discovered by the aboriginals. Many years later, it was scientifically proven that tea tree oil is an effective treatment option for many diseases. It became widely accepted that Australian soldiers were each given a bottle of tea tree oil during world war II.
In recent times, tea tree oil is most popular for treating skin and nail problems. This is because its antiseptic properties enable it to effectively get rid of microorganisms. The key contributing factor to the powerful effect of tea tree oil is the presence of terpinen-4-ol. This natural ingredient destroys microorganisms and helps to relieve the pain and itchiness that come with nail fungus.
Tea tree oil has a camphor-like odor and the color varies from pale yellow to clear. Its effectiveness has been found to be similar to that of one of the most effective medications available for treating nail fungus, clotrimazole. It destroys as well as prevent the fungus growth in the nails. Tea tree oil is also one of the safest oils often used as home remedies for nail fungus treatment.
How to use tea tree oil to treat nail fungus
Before applying this essential oil to the infected nails, it is imperative to prepare the nails for the effectiveness of tea tree oil. This is just like washing your hair before using shampoo.
- Trimming: the first step in nail preparation is the trimming of the nail. This involves the removal of areas of the nail heavily affected by fungus. Trim the nail as much as possible. Use clippers or nail scissors for this removal. Long-handled clippers will be safer; it will ensure nails of your fingers are far away from the infection as much as possible hence reducing the chance of a spread.
- Filing: after proper trimming, the next step is the filing away of layers of the nail especially in the event of nail thickening. Filing the nail as low as you can serve two purposes – to remove much of the infected nail and to reduce the surface area of the nail for easier absorption of tea tree oil into the nail bed. This is very vital since tea tree oil is a topical solution.
- Washing: when your nail has been properly filed, then there is a need to wash all debris away. This debris might not be very visible but is usually there. Use warm water and soap to wash the trimmed and filled nail as well as the surrounding skin to ensure the fungus doesn’t spread.
- Drying: after washing, dry the nail gently yet thoroughly. While drying, avoid vigorous rubbing so you don’t end up with irritation.
Applying tea tree oil
When you have ticked all the boxes present in nail preparation, you are ready to use tea tree oil for nail fungus treatment. Steps involved are:
- Mix tea tree oil with a carrier oil: tea tree oil is a very active ingredient that if applied directly to the nail or surrounding skin will cause irritation. Hence, dilute tea tree oil with a carrier oil such as coconut oil, olive oil, and jojoba oil. Dilute a drop of tea tree oil with about 6 drops of the carrier oil.
- Use application brush: use an application brush to apply a thin layer of the diluted tea tree oil to the affected nail. The brush will help to eliminate any chance of hand to hand or foot to hand spread of the fungus.
- Leave to dry: After applying a thin layer of the oil on the infected area, leave it for about 5 minutes for proper absorption. This is particularly important for the toenails fungus because shoes and socks can rub the oil off before it is absorbed. Apply the oil at least two or three times per day.
Note: keep using tea tree oil until a new, clear, and healthy nail has replaced the infected one. This will normally take a few months, be patient, and consistent in the application of the oil. Tea tree oil is meant for external usage and is safe for usage. However, you may experience irritation, dilute tea tree oil more but if irritation persists, you may want to switch to any of the following home remedies.
2. Snakeroot extract
No list of the best home remedies for nail fungus treatment is complete without the mention of Snakeroot extract. Snakeroot extract, which is derived from a snakeroot plant; not from a snake, is rich in antifungal properties making it yet another of the many home remedies for nail fungus. It relieves the pain and also destroys the fungus. It is a natural treatment with amazing healing properties hence is safe for usage. There are several steps involved in the use of snakeroot extract for the treatment of nail fungus.
How to use snakeroot extract to treat nail fungus
- Get snakeroot or the extract: snakeroot plant can be easily purchased in physical stores or online and will be delivered within a few days. When you get the plant, you can then squeeze the extract out by yourself. Another way is to buy the extract itself. They both have their advantages. Purchasing the snakeroot plant and getting the extract out yourself is a guarantee that you are getting the real deal while purchasing the extract eliminates the stress of squeezing the extract out yourself especially considering you will need this treatment of months. When purchasing the extract, pay attention to ensure you are getting as high concentration as possible.
- Nail preparation: prepare the nail as described above
- Apply the snakeroot extract: it is vital to apply this extract the right in order to hasten the fungus treatment process. You can either apply it directly with the aid of a dropper ensuring the oil covers all the affected area or apply it on a gauge and wrap it around the affected nail. These two steps are considered the ways to apply snakeroot extract. However, some people opt for a foot or hand soak. This involves adding a few drops of snakeroot extract to a half-filled small basin of warm water and then soaking the infected nail for about 15 minutes.
During the first month of nail fungus treatment, apply snakeroot extract about three times per week – it should be more for people more prone to nail fungus or that have chronic nail fungus. Towards the end of the treatment, e.g. the third month of treatment, use snakeroot extract just once a week.
3. Vicks Vaporub
This is a topical ointment made primarily for suppressing cough. Camphor, thyme, menthol, and eucalyptus oil are the active ingredients in Vicks Vaporub. Besides cough suppression, Vicks Vaporub is an alternative home remedy for nail fungus. This is not a myth or mere statement; people testify to its effectiveness in treating nail fungus and there are scientific studies to back it up.
The active ingredients in Vicks Vaporub contain antifungal and antiseptic properties which make Vicks Vaporub one of the best home remedies for nail fungus treatment. For example, thymol has been scientifically proven many times to be one of the most effective ingredients that interfere with the growth of dermatophytes which is responsible for nail fungus. It also destroys candida, which also causes nail fungus, by interfering with its metabolism and cell wall.
Vicks Vaporub is cheap and easy to get.
How to use Vicks Vaporub to treat nail fungus
- Prepare the affected nail – trim, file, wash, and dry
- Then apply a small quantity of Vicks Vaporub to the nail(s) affected. Make sure the gel gets beneath the nail as far as possible and also deep into the nail’s sides.
- Rub the gel deeply into cracks if there is any in the nail
- If you want to wear shoes or socks immediately after using Vicks Vaporub, cover the nail with a bandage to ensure the gel is not rubbed off too soon.
- Do this every day. You should begin to see changes after two weeks or more depending on the level of the nail fungus. The complete cure will take a few months which is typical of nail fungus treatment.
4. Lavender oil
There are several essential oils used as home remedies for nail fungus treatment, Lavender oil is one you should seriously consider when treating nail fungus. Lavender oil is of of the very effective home remedies for nail fungus. It destroys the cell walls of both candida and dermatophytes. This essential oil is loaded with antifungal properties.
In treating nail fungus with lavender oil, it is imperative to get pure lavender oil. Lavender fragranced oils – lavender plus lesser grade oils e.g. mineral oil – will not heal nail fungus. Pure lavender oil is quite expensive but is very effective.
Among all distilled essential oils, lavender oil is one of the safest. It is antiseptic, antifungal, antiviral, antidepressant, and anti-inflammatory. It speeds healing, supports the body’s immune system, relieves pain, as well as aids circulation.
How to use lavender oil to treat nail fungus
- Prepare the affected nail – trim, file, wash, and dry
- Add one or two drops of lavender oil to the nail ensuring the oil gets beneath the nail as much as possible.
- Do this about three times daily
Note: for chronic nail fungus, you can combine lavender oil with tea tree oil – one drop each oil should be applied to the affected nail during each treatment.
The use of cornmeal as a home remedy for nail fungus has many sides. Some people said mere covering the nail with cornmeal solved their nail fungus while others said it takes a nail soak. Whichever way, cornmeal has been found to be a great alternative for treating nail fungus though scientific evidence is still nonexistent.
How to use cornmeal to treat nail fungus
- Mix about one inch of cornmeal with hot water in a basin big enough to submerge your feet or hands.
- Stir the mixture gently so that the cornmeal can dissolve
- Prepare the nail – trim, file, wash, and dry
- By the time you are through with nail pre6, the cornmeal mixture should be cool enough for a foot or hand soak. Soak feet or hands for about one hour.
- Do this as regular as possible depending on the state of the nail fungus
Note: After preparing the nail, you can simply put your feet or hands in a basin of cornmeal without adding hot water. However, there seems to be more testimony about the foot or hand soak.
Zinc is one of the trace minerals essential to the body. It is loaded with antioxidant properties that contribute to the protection of the body from free radicals which makes zinc as one of the home remedies for nail fungus you should consider trying out. Zinc treats nail fungus by eliminating bacteria from the infection. It also boosts the body’s immune system and aids nail growth. A sign that you might be short on zinc is the appearance of white spots on the nail.
How to use zinc to treat nail fungus
- Eat foods that are rich in zinc. Such foods include seafood, lean meat, and cereals fortified with zinc.
Note: eating too much of foods rich in zinc can cause stomach upset and diarrhea.
Seventh on our list of home remedies for nail fungus is Borax. Borax is gotten from dried salt lakes. It destroys several fungi including nail fungus. Borax is antifungal and antibacterial. Nail fungus thrives in an acidic environment, hence combining baking soda – which is highly alkaline – with borax will better treat nail fungus.
How to use borax to treat nail fungus
- Prepare the nail – trim, file, and wash. Do not dry it.
- Make a paste of borax, baking soda, and water. The baking soda and borax should be almost the same quantity.
- Apply the paste to the wet affected area at least twice a day. Make sure the paste borders on the adjacent skin.
- Leave the paste for about 15 minutes before wiping it off.
Another method is to create a solution of borax and water, then soak the affected toes or fingers in it. It should be mixed in the ratio of one teaspoon of borax to one cup of warm water.
Note: Borax is not the same as boric acid. While you shouldn’t have anything to do with boric acid in your home, borax is a natural and safe mineral. Borax is alkaline and has been used as a cleaner or bleaching agent. However, borax can be toxic when too much. Keep it away from children’s reach.
Probiotics are referred to as good bacteria. These live bacteria help to treat gastrointestinal disorders among other numerous benefits. By treating internal fungus problems, probiotics free the body to naturally fight eternal fungus such as nail fungus. As such, probiotics are to be taken internally to balance bacterial populations in the body and a topical ointment should be applied to the infected nail. Probiotics will aid the effectiveness of the topical ointment by speeding up the healing process. This treatment option for nail fungus is particularly true if the nail fungus develops after a period of taking antibiotics.
How to use probiotics to treat nail fungus
- Consume foods rich in probiotics e.g. yogurt
- You can as well take probiotics supplement either in powder form or capsule.
Note: probiotics are very safe, however, some people might experience bloating at the early stage. This will go away as the body goes through the necessary adjustment. People who are allergic to dairy products should not take them in the name of probiotics.
9. Hydrogen peroxide
Hydrogen peroxide serves several purposes such as antifungal agent, bleaching agent, disinfectant, and antiseptic. It has powerful antifungal and antiseptic properties that makes it one of the best home remedies for nail fungus treatment. This treatment option for nail fungus is a proven one though scientific proof is not many. It effectively destroys the nail fungus and restores a healthy nail.
How to use hydrogen peroxide to treat nail fungus
- Hand or foot soaking in hydrogen peroxide:
What you need
- Hydrogen peroxide (3% concentration)
- Distilled water
- Plastic tub
The steps include
- Mix the distilled water and the hydrogen peroxide in the plastic tub
- Make the hydrogen peroxide you use is not higher than 3% concentration to avoid damaging your skin
- Soak the affected nails in the solution for about 30 minutes
- Afterward, dry the nails thoroughly with the tissue
- Repeat this process every day until the total cure is achieved
This method works because it is an oxidate therapy. The nail fungus gets destroyed as oxygen levels rise.
10. Hydrogen peroxide and vinegar
What you need
- Hydrogen peroxide (3% concentration)
- Apple cider vinegar or white vinegar
- Distilled or warm water
- Plastic tub
These can be done in two ways:
- Mix hydrogen peroxide, distilled or water, and vinegar proportionately in the plastic tub
Make sure the hydrogen peroxide is not higher than 3% in concentration to avoid skin damages.
Soak the affected nails in the solution for about 10 minutes
Dry the nails with the tissue and dispose of it immediately after use.
- This involves alternation
Day 1: mix hydrogen peroxide and distilled or warm water proportionately in the plastic tub and follow the steps in (a) above.
Day 2: use the same steps as in (a) above
Day 3: same as day 1
Day 4: same as day 2
Keep alternating like above
Do this every day till full cure.
This works because the acidity of vinegar helps to relieve itching as well as restore the pH of the nails and skin hence making the environment intolerable for fungi.
The use of bleach (sodium hypochlorite) for nail fungus has gained popularity lately. Although listed as 11th here, bleach is considered as one of the best home remedies for nail fungus. It kills fungus, bacteria, and germs almost 100 percent of the time. Bleach is very powerful which is why it is important to follow all safety guidelines when using bleach to treat nail fungus. If not used properly, bleach can cause skin damages.
How to use bleach to treat nail fungus
You can either do a foot soak or apply a bleaching paste on the affected nails.
It is more common than the paste option because it allows you to dilute bleach as much as you would like to minimize the chances of skin damage.
- Mix a half-filled bucket of warm water with a cup of bleach in such a way that a teaspoon of bleach is added to a gallon of warm water.
- Soak your feet in the well-diluted bleach for about 20 minutes twice a day.
- Dry your feet afterward
- Essential oils such as tea tree oil and oregano oil can be added to the diluted bleach for greater effectiveness. Epsom salt is also a valuable addition. The frequency of daily treatment could be fewer depending on the reaction of your body. You should discontinue bleach treatment of nail fungus entirely if it is too harsh on your skin even after you have diluted beyond reasonable proportion.
Direct application of bleach or bleach paste
This is a far more aggressive treatment method especially for chronic nail fungus but is equally more dangerous to the skin.
- Use petroleum jelly to coat the affected nails
- Add 1 or 2 drops of bleach to the affected area
- Leave for about 15 minutes for proper absorption
After each of the methods above, it is important to thoroughly rinse your feet or hands before drying them
If you have decided to try bleach for the treatment of your nail fungus, dilute the bleach very well. You can start with a ratio of 1 to 10 and increase it if your skin does not show any sign of reaction.
People with sensitive skin should abstain completely from using bleach to treat nail fungus
Garlic is a common name in the home with numerous health benefits including enhancing the body’s immunity, lowering cholesterol, and helping you stay clear of sinus. It is loaded with powerful antifungal and antimicrobial properties which is why Garlic is listed as one of the best home remedies for nail fungus.
Garlic can be used both externally and internally. Garlic contains allicin which helps to destroy one of the most harmful microbes in fungus, called tinea pedis. Garlic is backed with sufficient scientific evidence in the effective treatment of nail fungus.
How to use sing garlic to treat nail fungus
Garlic cloves, garlic powder, crushed garlic, as well as garlic oil can all be used in the treatment nail fungus.
- If you notice the nail fungus on time, putting garlic on your toe or hand and wearing socks or gloves on them throughout the night is enough to stop the infection in its track.
- For any level of nail fungus, you can apply crushed garlic on the affected area and leave for about half an hour.
- Garlic powder can be applied to the affected area just like you would apply other antifungal powders.
- Applying garlic oil to the affected nail and surrounding skin every night will also destroy nail fungus.
Continue with any of the methods you choose two to three weeks after a new and healthy nail has replaced the crumbly one to ensure nail fungus does not reoccur.
Note: wash your feet or hands thoroughly before applying any of the forms of garlic above.
13. Coconut oil
This is a carrier oil with numerous benefits, benefits which makes it one the best home remedies for nail fungus around. Coconut oil can be used both internally and externally and it effectively relieves the pain, eradicates nail fungus, and restores a clear nail. When consumed, coconut oil enhances the ability to fight off infection by releasing its rich antifungal properties.
Getting the right coconut oil
Organic coconut oil: try as much as possible to get organic coconut oil instead of inorganic one because it is much better than the latter.
100% pure: much of the coconut oil sold in the market is not 100 percent pure. They are often mixed with filler products that compromise the strength of the oil. Check the specifications to ensure the coconut oil is 100 percent pure.
Unrefined and cold-pressed coconut oil: during the refinement process, oils lose part of their nutrients and potency hence an unrefined coconut oil will deliver a better result.
How to use coconut oil to treat nail fungus
Coconut oil can be used in three ways – digestive method, moisturizer method, and oil combination method.
14. Moisturizer method
Daily moisturizing an infected nail with coconut oil will effectively cure nail fungus. This can be done in two ways. One, by simply rubbing coconut oil on the cuticle and the nail bed then leave it for 20 – 25 minutes.
The second method, it removes the challenge of having to wait for about 25 minutes for absorption. After applying coconut oil to the cuticle and nail bed, put a bandage over it to ensure the oil stays long enough on the affected area. Prepare the nail before applying coconut oil and start treatment as soon as possible.
15. Digestive method
Coconut oil can be consumed orally, in this case getting an organic, 100% pure, and unrefined coconut oil is vital. It can be used in cooking as well as taken directly. When taken internally, coconut oil’s antifungal properties help the body in the fight against infection.
16. Oil combination method
Coconut oil delivers great results on its own but does even better in combination with other oils. It can be mixed with essential oils such as tea tree oil and clove oil. These oils are also rich in antifungal, antibacterial, and antiseptic properties which in combination with the powerful effects of coconut oil delivers greater results.
17. Olive leaf extract
Olive leaf extract is yet another one of the many home remedies for nail fungus. Olive leaf extract helps the body in numerous ways because of the presence of oleuropein which is rich in antimicrobial, antiparasitic, antifungal, and immune-enhancing properties.
The olive tree uses this bitter element to protect itself against harsh weather conditions, attacks of insects, and bacterial damages. When olive leaf extract is consumed, the bitter oleuropein is broken down into elolenic acid which stops nail fungus by interfering with the ability of the fungus to grow or replicate. Besides this powerful influence, olive leaf extract also aids the body circulation by enhancing the flow of blood to the coronary arteries.
Antifungal effects of olive leaf extract
Besides the oleuropein present in olive oil, other derivatives such as tyrosol and hydroxytyrosol which help to alleviate the risk of microbial infections are also present.
Immune-boosting effects of olive leaf extract
As discussed in the risk factors of nail fungus, a weakened or suppressed immune system is a key contributor. Olive leaves have been found to enhance the body’s immune system by stimulating immune cells.
Improved blood circulation effect of olive leaf extract
The immune system of the body is an intricate part of the body’s circulation system. The better the flow of blood in the body, the better the body’s immune system, and vice versa. This explains why the chance of developing nail fungus gets higher as we age because blood flow to the body extremes such as toes and fingers is reduced.
Oleuropein contained in olive leaf extract helps to stop arteries from constricting, enhance the functioning of the heart, and ultimately improving blood flow to all the parts of the body. This in effect improves the ability of the body to fight infection.
How to use olive leaf extract to treat nail fungus
Olive leaf extract can be applied directly to the affected area and can also be taken orally in capsules. For oral consumption, start slow so that there will not be a Herxheimer reaction which causes symptoms including headaches, muscle aches, fatigue, vomiting, etc. Take the extract with meals and drink a lot of water during the to avoid stomach upset.
18. Ozonated oil
This involves bubbling oil with oxygen. An example is ozonated olive oil. It is made from olive oil bubbled with ozone. Ozonated oil combines the powerful attributes of olive oil with the effectiveness of oxygen which makes it one of most people’s best home remedies for nail fungus.
The powerful healing effect of olive oil attributed to the presence of Oleuropein and other derivatives. Increased level of oxygen is also an inconducive environment for nail fungus. Ozonated oil neutralizes nail fungus and aids the skin’s healing.
How to use ozonated oil to treat nail fungus
Prepare the nail and then dab the ozonated on the infected nail making sure the oil gets around and beneath the nail as much as possible.
Vinegar is loaded with antifungal properties which make it an effective treatment option for nail fungus, in fact it is one of the most popular home remedies for nail fungus. Vinegar works by raising the pH level around the affected beyond what nail fungus can tolerate hence hindering its growth and ultimately destroying it.
How to use vinegar to treat nail fungus
- Vinegar is easy to get since the key thing is the pH. Purchase any brand of vinegar.
- The next step is to prepare the nail as described above under tea tree oil – trimming, filing, washing, and drying.
- Mix vinegar proportionately with warm water in a basin and soak the infected nail for about 20 minutes twice a day.
- You can as well apply vinegar directly to the infected nail for more aggressive treatment
- Then allow your nails to dry before putting socks or shoes.
20. Epsom salt
Epsom salt is considered one of the most powerful home remedies for nail fungus and several other health issues. It has enormous healing benefits including pain reduction and aiding healing. Epsom salt treats issues such as exfoliation, splinters, as well as nail fungus. Its effectiveness in treating nail fungus is tied to its exfoliation and dead skin removal benefits. It also forms a formidable combination with other treatment options.
Irritation is common with the use of Epsom salt hence must first be started in smaller dosages to see the reactions of the body.
How to use Epsom salt for nail fungus
Foot or hand soak
- The following are the step by step way of having Epsom salt foot or hand soak.
- Add about a half cup of Epsom salt to a basin of warm water
- Soak hands or feet for about half an hour per day
- Essential oils can be added to the Epsom salt solution for several purposes including better fragrance.
- Dry your feet or hands very well after soaking
- If it causes you inflammation or other skin issues, you should stop its usage.
21. Black tea
Black tea is one of the most effective home remedies for nail fungus. It has tannic acid which works by drying out the feet or hands, destroying bacterial, and closing of pores around hands and toes to reduce sweating hence helping to nail fungus.
How to use black tea for nail fungus.
Add 6 bags of black tea to boiled water and leave to cool to a safe temperature then soak your foot or hand in the solution for about half an hour. You can do this every day or at least three times per week.
22. Baking soda
Baking soda is a common household item used as a remedy for a number of health conditions including the treatment of nail fungus. It is replete with antifungal properties which make it one of the very effective home remedies for nail fungus treatment
How to use baking soda to treat nail fungus
- Add a little warm water to a paste of baking soda and rub it on the affected nails.
- Rinse it off after a while
- Then dry the nail thoroughly
- Repeat this process at least once per day
Note: baking soda is very cheap and safe to use.
Mouthwash does not have any scientific proof of curing nail fungus; however, some mouthwash contains antifungal properties which may help them treat nail fungus.
How to use mouthwash to treat nail fungus
Soak the infected nail in a small bowl of mouthwash.
24. Mentholated topical ointments
Mentholated topical ointments are usually prescribed for cold and cough but have proven to be effective for nail fungus treatment. This is because camphor, menthol, and eucalyptus oil which are the active ingredients in these ointments have properties that may treat nail fungus effectively.
How to use mentholated topical ointments to treat nail fungus
Direct application of mentholated ointment to the infected nails
25. Oregano Oil
Oregano oil is an essential oil loaded with antifungal properties that help it fight fungal infections including nail fungus. It is a very powerful oil with far-reaching effects. If not diluted properly with a carrier oil, oregano oil can cause skin irritation.
Key attributes of oregano oil
- Fights fungal infections
- It is antibiotic, antiparasitic and antiviral
- Protects the body cells from damages caused by free radicals
- It is natural and safe
How to use oregano oil to treat nail fungus
- Prepare the affected nail – trim, file, wash, and dry (it has been fully explained above, under tea tree oil treatment of nail fungus)
- Dilute oregano oil with a carrier oil such as olive oil, coconut oil, and jojoba oil. The ratio should be about three drops of oregano oil to a teaspoon of the carrier oil
- Then rub diluted oregano oil on the affected area and leave to dry
Apply this oil twice per day
For some nail fungus sufferers, listerine is one of the best home remedies for nail fungus. Listerine works by curing nail fungus, relieving pain, and preventing the infection. It contains menthol and thymol, both of which have antifungal properties. It is used for the treatment of athlete’s foot as well as the removal of dead skin.
How to use Listerine to treat nail fungus
- Prepare the affected nail(s) – trim, file, wash, and dry (details shown above under tea tree oil)
- Mix Listerine with warm water in a tub or bucket
- You can use white vinegar instead of warm water
- Soak your feet or hands in the solution, making sure they are completely submerged for about 45 minutes
- Repeat this process every day until a new nail has replaced the infected one. You should also do this foot or hand soak periodically after your nail fungus is gone to eliminate any chance of recurrence.
Note: Listerine is mostly safe for usage but can cause irritation especially for people with sensitive skin.
This spice is also another one of the best home remedies for nail fungus. It contains antiperspirant and antifungal properties.
How to use cinnamon to treat nail fungus
Cinnamon foot or hand soak
- Boil about 19 sticks of cinnamon for 5 minutes
- Leave them to soak in the water for another 40 to 45 minutes during which you should prepare the nail
- By now, the temperature should be low enough for a foot or hand soak. Soak the affected hand or foot in it for about 25 minutes
28. Cinnamon oil
Purchase cinnamon oil and use a cotton ball to apply it directly to the affected area. Of course, prepare the nail as described before applying cinnamon oil.
29. Home pedicure
If you keep to a routine of a quality pedicure at home, your chances of developing nail fungus are low. It also works to correct nail fungus.
How to use home pedicure to treat nail fungus
- Gently scrubbing around the edges of the affected with a pumice stone will promote fast healing of nail fungus.
- Then soak in warm water and clean your feet or hands with any special soap
- Scrape off any growth of the affected nail regularly, soak and use special soap. The nail will start growing on the inside.
30. Neem oil
Though neem oil’s smell is not the best, it is one of the more formidable home remedies for nail fungus. It is adjudged to be very powerful and fast in treating nail fungus. Its strong antiseptic properties are unfavorable for all kinds of bacteria and fungus. It not a very common household item but can be easily purchased.
How to use neem oil to treat nail fungus
- Prepare the nail – trim, file, wash, and dry.
- Then apply neem oil directly to the affected nail. Start with a small portion to see how your body reacts to it.
31. Sunshine through a magnifying lens
This method is quite unorthodox but is a good alternative home remedy for nail fungus.
How to use sunshine through a magnifying lens to treat nail fungus
- Get under the sun
- Use a magnifying lens to focus the sunlight on the affected area
- Keep it focused until the heat becomes unbearable for you. It’s been found that heat of about 600C will help to destroy nail fungus.
Note: beware not to do this excessively as it can damage your skin. Do it like three days a week, not longer than 10 minutes at a time.
There you have it, we have listed the top 31 home remedies for nail fungus but here is a home remedy for nail fungus treatment.
Foods As home remedies for nail fungus
Improvement in the overall health of a person will definitely contribute to better nail status. Foods that will contribute to healthy nails and can be regarded as home remedies for nail fungus are as follow:
- Yogurts containing probiotics
- Iron-rich foods
- Lean protein-rich foods
- Fatty acids derived from oily fish
- Foods rich in calcium and Vitamin D
Prevention of Nail Fungus
Now you know some of the best home remedies for nail fungus, but like they say, prevention is better than cure, how do you prevent nail fungus after healing from it?
- Keep your nails well-trimmed, dry and clean
- Don’t walk barefoot in public places such as the gym, local swimming pool, and locker room.
- Breathable and sweat-absorbing socks and shoes: Wearing shoes and socks made with breathable materials will help to prevent nail fungus as well as allow the effectiveness of all home remedies discussed above. Sweat-absorbing socks help to keep your feet as dry as possible.
- Foot powder: sprinkling antifungal powder on your toes after birth or before wearing shoes helps to keep them dry.
- Reduce the usage of nail polish: a rule of thumb is to leave the nail alone as long or longer than you have polish on.
- Get rid of old shoes
- And finally, check your fingers and toes regularly
Nail fungus is not a palatable infection. One, the ugliness of the nail and two, the pain that comes with it. All the above home remedies for nail fungus will relieve the pain, destroy the fungus, and restore a clear and healthy toenail. Before applying any of them, it is important to properly prepare the nail so that the antifungal agents can give maximum effectiveness.
They are natural hence are very safe for usage. in the treatment and prevention of nail fungus, having and maintaining proper nail care is the most fundamental prevention and treatment method. Hence, the use of the above home remedies for nail fungus must be combined with adequate nail care.