One question many people who have toenail fungus want continuously ask is “How do I get rid of toenail fungus with bleach”. Toenail fungus, also known as onychomycosis, is one of the most popular nail diseases affecting about one in every four persons in Europe. It leaves the toenail with a rather ugly appearance (nail discoloration, thickening, and crumbling) and could also be quite painful.
Every year, millions of dollars go into the treatment of nail fungus generally. Despite this much investment, toenail fungus is very difficult to treat and has a very high rate of recurrence. The fundamental cause of nail fungus is the lack of proper nail care. It could also be a sign of an underlying health issue. But can you get rid of toenail fungus with bleach? This is a question this article aims to answer.
There are not so many options that will ensure a total and permanent cure for toenail fungus. The reason why many people try to get rid of toenail fungus with bleach is the notoriety of nail fungus. Plus home remedies are generally safe for fungus treatment. It is like combating the devil with thunder. Another reason why people wonder or try to get rid of toenail fungus with bleach that it is a very common household item and is very cheap compared to other treatment options. But is bleach effective in treating toenail fungus and how does it work?
A lot of people testify to the effectiveness of bleach in treating nail fungus. Having a bleach foot soak is enough to cure a mild fungal infection while a chronic fungal infection will require direct application of bleach. However, some people say bleach caused them skin irritation. If bleach has adverse effects on your skin, you should discontinue its usage or if you have not started, you should not consider it at all. Some people will be able to get rid of toenail fungus with bleach easily but for some, it will only lead to further complications.
How Get Rid Of Toenail Fungus With Bleach.
First we need to let you know you can get rid of toenail fungus with Bleach via two methods – The foot soak method and the direct application method.
- Foot soak
This is perhaps the most popular way to get rid of toenail fungus with bleach because it reduces the harshness of bleach hence protecting the skin.
- Add a cup of bleach to a half-filled bucket of warm water such that the ration is like one gallon of warm water to a teaspoon of bleach.
- Then soak your feet in the solution for about 20 minutes. Dry your feet afterward.
- Do this at most twice per day depending on your body’s reaction. If the effect is too adverse, stop it immediately.
Note: for greater effectiveness, you can add any essential oil such as oregano oil and tea tree oil to the solution. Epsom salt also enhances the success of this treatment.
2. Direct Application Of Bleach
You can also get rid of toenail fungus with bleach by directly applying bleach to the infected toenail. To use this method, you need just bleach and a q-tip.
Some other things you should know if you want to get rid of toenail fungus with bleach…
- Foot soak might not be sufficient for people with chronic toenail fungus hence they should apply bleach directly to the nail.
- Use a cotton ball to apply bleach to the infected nail.
- Any excess bleach on the skin should be properly wiped off.
- Apply with extra caution to avoid unnecessary contact with your skin. Use it just a few times per week to avoid reactions.
Staying safe while you use bleach to treat nail fungus
Bleach is very powerful hence great care must be taken not to hurt yourself as you seek to destroy nail fungus. To stay safe, follow the steps below:
- Start with a very diluted bleach solution to see how your body reacts. Ratio 1 to 10 is a safe place to start. If your skin does not react then you can increase the bleach ratio gradually.
- If you have sensitive skin, you should not apply bleach directly to the affected nail.
Advantages of using bleach
- It is effective in the treatment of nail fungus
- It is very cheap and is readily available in most homes
- It is very easy to apply
- If not administered carefully, it could cause major skin damage
If you are not comfortable with or have doubts about the use of bleach for treating nail fungus, a very effective and safe treatment is the use of essential oils. Essential oils, such as clove oil, tea tree oil, and lemon oil, are rich in antibacterial, antiseptic, and antifungal properties. When diluted with a carrier oil, essential oils offer amazing treatment of nail fungus. These oils are equally home remedies and very easy to use. As noted above, they can be added to the diluted solution of bleach for greater effectiveness in nail fungus treatment.
There are also effective over-the-counter products most of which have essential oils as their active ingredients. They are equally very safe for usage. the final treatment option available is the use of medications but are often with side effects.
In conclusion, it is not a question of whether bleach works for the treatment of toenail fungus. It is the question of how safe it is for you. If you observe skin irritation, stop using bleach to avoid hurting yourself because you want to combat nail fungus. Essential oils are very effective and safe alternatives. As powerful as bleach is, the treatment of toenail fungus will still last months just like other treatments. You must observe proper nail care to destroy fungus and prevent a recurrence.